Sunday, February 8, 2009

Forgiveness

Forgiveness is essential to physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. Holding on to negative experiences from the past hurts me, perpetuating the damage done by the original offense. What did Jesus have to say about forgiveness?

“Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times” (Matthew 18:21-22, NIV version).

But what does forgiveness actually mean? According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary online, forgiveness means to “give up resentment of or claim to requital for” or to “cease to feel resentment against (an offender).” That sounds great, right? It sounds simple. Just give up a claim and to stop resenting the offender! No problem. Not exactly! Let’s first think about forgiveness as a process. It is a linear process, meaning it follows a straight line. In the ideal, from the offender or sinner’s perspective, it happens like this:

Confess -> Repent -> Request -> Accept

These sound like religious or “churchy” words, but what do they really mean?
Here are the definitions:

Confess = to acknowledge or admit
Repent = to feel regret
Request = to ask
Accept = to receive willingly


The result is that the event or issue is forgotten or at least not brought up again. That’s the ideal. It sounds great!!!! But in the human realm, the ideal is rarely achieved. Why? For major offenses, the human tendency is to skip the last step and make the process circular, rather than keeping it linear. It looks something like this:


Let’s look at an example. Suppose I intentionally stepped on Jenny’s foot. First I would need to realize I had done something wrong, then I would have to be willing to admit it. At that point I can enter the process by going to Jenny, telling her that I stepped on her foot intentionally and that I feel really bad about it and I can ask for her forgiveness. Assuming she forgives me, the ideal is for me to accept the forgiveness, let it go and move on. In the circular process, instead I would not believe that Jenny really forgave me and I would go back to telling her what I had done, in a slightly different way, like “no, really, I stepped on your foot on purpose and I’m really sorry. Please forgive me.” At that point Jenny may begin to be irritated that I have not just dropped the issue.

Following a circular process is destructive and unhealthy. While stepping on another person’s foot is an offense, when I think about the really big offenses or sins in my past, it is easy to be so horrified and overwhelmed with regret. Even if I have taken it to God in prayer, admitted what I’ve done, expressed my regret and remorse and asked His forgiveness, it is sometimes very difficult to reach the step of accepting forgiveness. Instead, when I recall the situation I tend to go right back to confess and start the process again. That grieves God’s heart. It shows we don’t actually believe Him. We don’t take Him at His Word.

But why do we do this? At the core, it is self-centeredness. We tend to think our own “stuff” is much worse than other’s stuff. We think our sin is too big, too awful or unforgiveable. In a sense, by not accepting God’s forgiveness, we are suggesting we are equal with God or beyond His ability to forgive. Rather than believing God’s promise, we are rebelling against Him.
So how do we accept forgiveness? It’s another linear process!
Believe->accept->let it go (if it comes into your thoughts, deny it space!)

Final suggestion:

Resist any temptation to let past sin influence your present….thoughts, feelings, or behavior.
Instead you are free to be who God created you to be!!!! Then we can more readily become the forgiver when others offend us (more on this later).

Luke 7:47-50
“Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."… verse 50 Jesus said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post. This is a huge issue in everyone's life because anytime we have any contact with someone else we will be in a position to hurt their feelings even if done unintentionally. So knowing that it is going to happen we have to be prepared to handle those sorts of situations. The real underlying reason why this is difficult is because we do not always trust the person we are asking for forgiveness from so we have to keep revisiting the issue and trying to pursuade them to forgive us. But, if they are truly our friends then we do not have to doubt for even one second that we are forgiven just as we would forgive our parents, siblings, or our closest friends. This is a really great point you make and we need to remember God is in control so we do not ever need to be afraid of what the outcome of the situation will be once we are forgiven because we can trust God to take care of it. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, draw me a schematic from the wronged person's perspective if the person who sinned against them a)won't even admit that the sin ever took place and b)doesn't feel that they did anything wrong (in other words, feel it was justified) and therefore, c)will not ask for forgiveness? How does one bring absolution to that situation?

    Let's go even a step further...what if the person who was wrong is actually blamed for it? How is that person to ever get closure from such a situation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Greg, awesome questions. I am not sure exactly in what context your questions lie but I will have to make some assumptions to answer them and the main assumption is that someone has sinned against you and you are seeking an adequate response. If this is the case, the first thing I would do is pray for God's guidence in search for peaceful resolution. Then the first step is to determine whether the wrongdoing was against you intentionally or whether you are perceiving wrongdoing even though it was not intended. Then you must decide, if it indeed was an intentional wrongdoing against you, whether you can loving correct this specific wrongdoing. For example, with my puppy, if I found an accident long after it happened, could I lovingly correct her behavior? Most likely not because she would have long forgotten about the accident. So if we cannot lovingly correct the wrongdoing then we should not even approach the wrongdoer but rather put it in God's hands through prayer and take it off our books as resolved. This is a very important part of the first process and I will save the rest for additional posts but the most important truth to take away from this is that Jesus wanted us to take care of our relationships, so much so that if we have an issue with a friend we should pause our worship to get resolve. So the most important parts of dealing with an issue is to first determine whether the wrongdoing was actually intended by seeking understanding, and the second is to determine whether we can correct this wrongdoing in a loving way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your puppy analogy makes a lot of sense. Although, the event I was referring to was no accident. These puppies were trying to punish someone because the puppies thought they knew better what God's will was, and decided that the end justified the means.

    So, a cruel and vicious act of punishment was meant to demonstrate a higher knowledge of God's will. Jesus said, "By their works, ye shall know them", and I submit to you that the cruelty and viciousness of this act itself, demonstrates that these puppies are completely out of touch with God's will.

    You cannot behave in an cruel and vicious manner, and claim to be doing God's will. God himself, would never behave that way. What then, it the proper response to bring about forgiveness for all concerned?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well first, you have to recognize that you are not God and then pray to God that in his infinite wisdom he may provide guidance and enlightenment to this person. We should also all remember to respect each other and provide encouragement in our spiritual growth. This next bit of advice has helped me Greg and I think it will help you. Ask yourself everyday what kind of difference you are making in someone else's life and what kind of contribution you are making to this World because at the end of this short life all we will truly have left are our friends. I would love to hear how you, Greg, and everyone else are making a difference in someone else's life.

    ReplyDelete